When a person buys a product from a website, they will only learn about your product through photos and your product description. She will not really understand your product until they receive the package, and maybe not be fully satisfied when they open the package.
Any professional sale made on the Internet must allow a withdrawal period for its private customers when shopping online ( C. conso., Article 221-18 ).
In order to differentiate yourself from “traditional” commerce and to encourage customers to buy online, you can make a specific offer.
Therefore, by offering a "satisfaction or money back" offer, it can encourage the customer to make a purchase while posing as a trusted partner.
WHAT DOES THE LAW SAY ON THE RIGHT OF WITHDRAWAL?
The withdrawal period is a legal period that allows consumers to abandon the purchase and therefore cancel the sales contract that binds them to the seller for a certain time.
About the online sales , the law stipulates that the withdrawal period is 14 days , from the date of receipt of the product.
This obligation normally concerns all the products you sell (new, sale, used). However there are products not subject to the right of withdrawal. (see below)
If the customer's order relates to several goods that you have delivered separately or to a good made up of lots or multiple pieces whose delivery is staggered, the period of 14 days begins upon receipt of the last good or batch, or of the last piece. .
WHAT PRODUCTS ARE CONCERNED BY THE WITHDRAWAL PERIOD?
In some cases, the customer cannot return an order:
- Goods and services whose price depends on financial market rates, which may change over time;
- Products manufactured to your requirements or products with obvious customization require special adjustments to meet very specific technical and aesthetic requirements (eg, custom-made furniture or clothing).
- Goods which can deteriorate or rot quickly, with the exception of foods with the shortest shelf life,
- Goods which you have opened and cannot be returned due to hygiene or health reasons (e.g. sealed cosmetics, underwear sold in sealed bags)
- The digital content provided on an intangible medium and subscription contract to these services whose execution has started with agreement and for which you have renounced your right of withdrawal (for example, downloaded film).
For all other products, which are not concerned by the above list, these must be returned to the seller in their original condition, not to have been used or worn.
AS A SELLER, WHAT TO DO TO PROTECT YOURSELF?
This mention must appear on the product page, so that the customer can use their right of withdrawal since it is a legal obligation.
If you do not do so, the withdrawal period is extended by 12 months (Conso. C., art. L 221-20).
WHAT TO DO IF YOU FORGET TO MENTION THE RIGHT OF WITHDRAWAL?
You realize that you forgot to mention the return conditions on your product page. Do not panic ! You can prepare a letter with your logo and your legal disclaimer (SIRET, professional address ...) which will present your return conditions, and send it by email or include in the package.
But this withdrawal period is subject to strict rules:
- If the article is ultimately not suitable for the buyer, he can return the product without giving a reason and be reimbursed for his purchase and the outward transport costs, but he will have to pay the return costs.
- If the item does not conform to the photo and / or the description, the customer can request reimbursement of the total costs (product purchase cost + outward and return delivery costs).
- If the item has any defect, the customer can request a full refund.